Monday, June 27, 2011

Let the games begin! Go Eagles!

T-ball season has begun!  Wow, has t-ball left an impression on Eli.  That was all he talked about for days prior to game day, but now he is obsessed.  He asked about a million times if he did good.  Now he wants to wear his hat all day, which I'm thrilled about because I love little boys wearing hats and I have been trying for years to get him to wear one without success.  At one point, we were all in the car and he fixed his hat and asked us if he looked like a baseball player.  We said yes, and he said, "well, that's because I am!"  It was hysterical.  And then he told everyone in public yesterday about t-ball.

This is such a new experience for him and he is trying to figure it all out.   We realized that it doesn't matter how many games he sees on TV or even live, he still doesn't really get the concept of certain things.  I think it'll take him actually being a part of a team to really get it.   It was an eye opener for us b/c we really thought he would just go out and kick butt b/c we play so much outside, he hits and throws so great, and he watches a lot of baseball with Cory on Tv. We were so off though!  The little dude is not used to having other authority figures and listening to others in that way.  Part of that was being overstimulated.  And we realized that when we play at home, we play with plastic balls and bats, so that was the first time he played with a metal bat and hard ball.  He was standing there like he didn't know what to do.  We pretend run bases, but we quickly saw that he doesn't get the real purpose of them.  ha!  And, of course, when on the field he was clueless about how to field a ball and what to do with it.  Eli definitely blended in with the other 3 year olds more than we thought!  :)

 It was all pretty comical and we were reminded of how young he is and how much he is going to learn and grow from this experience.  We are so glad we signed him up.  I will say we were so pleased and just thankful that he truly went out there totally pumped and not worrying about us in the least.  He didn't even look back at Cory or I ever and just jumped right in.  I was scared he would be clingy and crying.  I was happy to see it was other people's kids, not mine!!  :)  Not to say it won't happen another time with him, but that was a good sign. To make it all worthwhile, Eli just had a blast.  That's what we wanted to see and we are sooo proud of our little baseball player. WE can't wait for more games!




I thought it was so ironic that Eli chose his number, #7, and that was my number when I played summer league softball.






Evan did not want to cheer on his brother like we thought he would!  :)   He wanted to explore and walk around, so I tried everything to get him to sit so I could watch the game.  Snacks worked for a few minutes. After the game, we went to the park close to the baseball field to let Evan and Eli play.


1 comment:

The McClains said...

Go Eli! That is so cute. :-) He is going to be such a great little baseball player!