We had a long day yesterday! It began around 2 am when I was having contractions that woke me up. I ended up calling my OB at around 4 am- Dr. Moore was on-call (the doc that delivered Eli). I had just had a doctor's appointment with her the previous day and she informed me then that the baby's head was low and she was ready to go. She didn't sound too optimistic that I would make it 2 more weeks. Dr. Moore mentioned during the appointment that if I go into labor, since I am having a repeat c-section that she didn't want me to get to the point of gripping the wall in pain before calling. On the phone in the middle of the night though she suggested I wait a little longer before making a move. I ended up calling the office again at 9 am because the contractions weren't easing up and were slowly becoming more intense. They asked me to come in and Dr. Willett (doc that delivered Evan) evaluated me. I was only 1 cm dilated, but he sent me to the hospital to be evaluated for contracting. It was confirmed that my contractions were becoming more frequent and more intense, but after several hours I was still not dilating; therefore, not considered in "active" labor. Dr. Willett did not want to deliver the baby early if at all possible, so he ordered a shot called Brethine (generic for Terbutaline) to stop the contractions. Ugh, what awful side effects! But, it worked in that the contractions eased up and became further apart. After several hours of monitoring I was sent home.
In retrospect, what a weird thing! Just yesterday I was having contractions thinking I was going to have the baby early and with a shot the labor ceased and now I'm home with a baby still in my belly! The boys are confused by the whole experience. So are Cory and I for that matter. :) What's even stranger is that I'm still contracting, but not as intense as before. We're not sure we'll make it to the 30th, but hoping so. We want this baby full-term and as big and healthy as possible!
No comments:
Post a Comment